Everyone please welcome Harlequin author Amy Knupp who is the “October Author” at ALBTALBS! :D This sounds dorky, but I first “met” her on twitter, and then at a few conferences. She’s totally fabulous, and I think she’s the best.
2. What would your ultimate meal consist of? Describe each course and beverage. I don’t know exactly, but it would definitely include bacon. And cheese…lots of cheese.
3. What was your first job? Your most interesting one? I worked at Dairy Queen for a total of about 6 years in high school and college. I still have dreams about making that perfect curl on the top of the cone (and I’m pretty sure I still could, even though it’s been a LOT of years.) Most interesting job? Easily the current one I have as a freelance copyeditor (www.blueotterediting.com). Not only do I get paid to read, but I get to indulge my punctuation OCD-ness. :)
4. What are five of your biggest pet peeves? What do you think would be fitting punishments for each? 1. Drivers who swing their car out to the right to take a left turn. 2. People who use the word “irregardless.” 3. Insurance companies that think they can prescribe what’s best for my health. 4. Radio stations that ruin really good songs by playing them every twenty minutes. 5. Wizard of Oz comments when I tell people I used to live in Kansas. (I hate Wizard of Oz. Don’t judge me.) [I'm a little surprised Amy doesn't have punishments for them... she seems like she'd be the type. ;X]
5. What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten? I’m not very adventurous with food, so it’d probably be some kind of Blizzard combo from back in my Dairy Queen days. The most disgusting one I remember was Nerds candy and Whoppers…together in vanilla ice cream.
6. If you have to listen to a song 24/7 for four days, which one would you choose? I would throw the iPod in the lake after about an hour, no matter what song it was. I love music but need to have a variety.
7. Cowboy boots, Stilettos, or Go Go boots? The only one I own is stilettos, so if I have to choose one, I’d go with that. My shoe of choice would be my fur-lined Sketchers. They’re ugly, comfy and warm, and during the Wisconsin winter, comfy and warm win out.
8. How’d you come up with your author name? Have you ever forgotten your author name/accidentally ignored someone when they called out to you? My parents gave me the Amy part and my husband gave me the Knupp part, so no, I’ve never forgotten or ignored. :)
10. What was your favorite book as a child? There was a book in my grade school library called A Letter to Amy. I checked it out EVERY week just because my name was in the title. No memory of what it was about, but it just shows how important a title is, right? ;)
11. What did you do with your first royalty check? What I do with all my royalty checks…pay bills. Glamorous, yes?
12. What’s your writing process? Plot and plot and figure and plot and start writing and then figure out my plot sucks and won’t work for my characters. From there, I pretty much have to wing it. You’d think skipping the plotting stage would be a good idea for me, but that causes me more anxiety than it’s worth. That original plotting craziness seems to be a necessary step in order for me to get to the eventual story.
13. What’s the most unique/strange silly skill your possess? I’m pretty sure I could win a belching contest but I’ve never had the nerve to try one in public. (I do rule the Knupp house, even though I’m the only female, though. My mom is so proud.)
14. Which is worst? Hang nail, splinter, or paper cut? Paper cut!
15. What’s the first type of alcohol you ever tried to drink? What do you prefer to drink now? Kahlua and cream is the worst because I detest coffee. I prefer gluten-free beer…or vodka. I try to avoid having them together because that never ends well.
16. Is there a genre you’d like to write but haven’t? What genre would you personally never try to write? I plan to try young adult, but probably most of what I write will always have some kind of romance in it. I would never ever try to write historical because I am a history idiot for the most part.
She’s giving away copies of her upcoming November book After the Storm. Have you ever read a book by Ms. Knupp before? What questions do you have for her? Remember, the more off the wall the better! :D